KABUL (Pajhwok): A military operation has been launched against armed militants with focus on the Daesh group in eastern Nangarhar province, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said on Monday.
MoI spokesman Sediq Sediqi told a press briefing in Kabul the operation had been started especially against the Islamic State group.
He said at least 12 militants, including a shadow district, were killed in a drone strike on Sunday evening in the Bati Kot district.
Seven more armed rebels were apprehended and a heavy cache of weapons and several walkie-talkie sets seized in the Achin district.
Sediqi also said around 5500 bullets had been taken into custody during the search operation.
“The interior minister visited Faryab province and found the security situation worst there,” Sediqi replied to a question.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Interior said Mohammad Yaqub Haidari, a former agriculture minister-designate, had paid his taxes in Estonia and could visit that country anytime he wished.
Sediqi said Haidari had been accused of not paying $50000 which he had already paid.
The Wolesi Jirga had rejected Haidari as minister-designate to head the agriculture ministry over Estonia’s allegation of evading taxes.